Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Second Marriage After 23 years being Single - Part 1

When my only child left for college, I decided it was time for me to begin the search for my "life long" partner. I started looking while I pushed the shopping cart in the grocery -- reading that I should change my pattern and shop on Friday nights. I also thought about going to the laundromat, even though I had a perfectly good washer and dryer. Some other fleeting thoughts included joining a Single's Dance group, taking up golf for the first time, and going to a baseball game by myself. If you do the things you want to do as a couple, didn't it make sense to try it as a single -- and maybe someone else of the opposite sex would be there too? No.

Confided in my friends circle that I was interested in getting out there and dating pushing the 50 year mark. Family didn't offer any names or suggestions. I caught myself looking at my co-workers or people in the elevator where I worked.

I heard about "internet dating" and that seemed appealing. So, I ventured out there and completed my PROFILE. The hardest thing was to write your eye-catching phrase which would entice interested single men to view your profile. I was honest and expected the same. Not so in the real world .... Married men are lurking out there. Men also post photos that are 20 years old!

Part of the game was to get to know each other by email communication; and then move into verbal communication over the phone -- cell phone -- never your home number; but I didn't know that rule.

Stay tuned for Part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment